Let's start building your awesome course with this step-by-step guide.
How to set up an awesome course with our software
Step 1: Create your first course
Now that you have an account, we can proceed by creating your first course. This is done in a few easy steps:
- Go to the courses tab
- Click on the button "+ New course"
- Enter the title for your course
- Optional: Enter the introduction text for your course
- Optional: Upload your own landingspage image
See the video below on how you can do this.
Step 2: The Curriculum of your course
The most important part of your online course is the curriculum. In this section you'll learn how to build the curriculum of your course.
Go to the "Curriculum" tab of your newly created course. You'll already find these slides:
- Start slide
- Introduction slide
- End slide
These are the default pages in any course. In between these pages you can add your own pages, or "Elements" as we call them.
After you've just created your course, the curriculum will look like this.
You can add your own elements by clickong on the "Add slide" button. You'll be able to add different type of slides:
- Content slides: these slides can contain text, images, videos and quotes.
- Assessment: this is an outcome based test. For example: What type of learner are you?.
- Exam: A test where you can evaluate the knowledge level of your users. Test if they really understood the content of your course.
- Practice questions: Practice makes perfect. Insert practice questions between your slides to engage your users and let them think about your content.
When clicking the Add Slide button, you'll be able to add different type of slides
When you add a slide, each type will give you different options to choose from. For example if you add a practice question, you can choose from several different question types.
We'll dive a bit deeper into each slide-type on the following slides of this course :)
Step 3: Adding a content slide to your course
Most courses start with a content slide. Content slides can contain the following elements:
This allows you to quickly create the best learning material for your users.
For example the current slide in this course you are in is a Content Slide. We'll show you how the different types of content look. Of course what you are reading right now is the text element :)
Of course if you have to much text, things can become a bit boring. So you can also add images to your text, just like this...
Voice over: "Oke. This break out image thing is only possible in the course, not in this step-by-step guide in our help section."
When you have a lot of text, sometimes it can enhance the content to highlight certain parts. For this we build the "quote" element.
On the next slide we'll learn how to add an exam to your course!
Step 4: Add an exam to your course
Most courses have one or more exams. A typical course will have some content slides and one exam at the end. With the Easy LMS course builder you can:
- Add exam(s) to any part of the course
- Set a rule for passing the course
We'll first add an exam to the course. You can do this by going to the "Curriculum" tab. And then adding an"Exam" slide:
Next you can choose to create an exam, or select one if you've already created an exam.
Creating and managing your exams is all done under the Exam tab. This workflow has several adventages:
- You can re-use your exams in multiple courses.
- Setting up exams can require very specific rules concerning point assignments, explanations, pass-levels, question banking etc.
For now we'll assume that you've already created an exam called "Final exam" and we'll add it to the course.
Just select your exam and press save!
You can see several options you can select here as well:
- Show start page yes/no: You can chose to show the start page of the exam. If you do not chose to show the start page then the exam will start inmediately with the first question. If you have a timed exam we recommend to show the start page so a user knows he is starting the exam
- Show the result page yes/no: this will either show the result page at the end of the exam or it will inmediately proceed to the next slide
- Minimum score to pass: If a user doesn't score above the pass rate, he will not be able to continue to the next slide of the exam
- Maximum attempts: If a user doesn't score above the pass rate in a maximum amount of attempts he will be redirected to the end page of the course (the failed variant).
The next slide in this course will be a short exam of 3 questions, which we can't display over here, so you'll have to take the course.
Step 5: How to publish your course
And now for the last step: sharing your course with your users.
Basically, there are 4 ways to give people access to your course.
1. You can share the direct link to the test.
2. You can integrate the test on you website using an embed-code. (the same way you integrate a youtube video on your own website).
Under the "Publish & Share" tab in the left navigation of your course you'll find the embed-code and the url to your test.
On the publish tab you'll find both the URL and the Embed-Code you can use to publish your course.
3. You can use our "invite only feature" to securely invite a select group of users. This is mostly used for corporate e-learning. You can find this feature under the "User Management" tab.
Set your user management to Invite Only to securely invite users to your course.
4. And last but not least, you can export a SCORM file and add that to your LMS. We don't recommend this because the SCORM standard is very outdated and has limitations on data-transfer. But if you're into old skool, it's possible.
Now go share your brand new course with your users in the way that suits you best!
You've completed the course!
Congratulations! You have finished setting up your first course. It's still very basic, but with this basis you'll be able to start adding more advanced stuff like automatic certifications, integrations, etc.
If you have any further questions, please contact our support gurus. And you can start building your courses anytime by registering on www.easy-lms.com
Go interactive and take our "how to create an online course" course
Check out the Course & let us know if you have any questions or remarks about it?